cm87 distorting

Do you own an AA microphone and in need of technical support concerning your microphone? Please post your questions here. All questions are answered on a daily basis!

cm87 distorting

Postby MH123 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:46 pm

I've been using my cm87 to record mostly vocals and acoustic guitar, but I ran into a disconcerting problem when trying to record electric guitar. The cm87 was overloading causing a terrible distortion even when backed off 4 feet from the amp. The amp was a Fender Vibrolux, and the volume was set quite conservatively. Other condenser mics placed against the grill of the cabinet were handling it just fine. I had the pad on the cm87 engaged, and I tried the bass roll off switch as well which helped a little bit but did not prevent overload. I've recorded loud high gain amps with a Neumann U87 and never had a problem like this. And isn't the cm87 supposed to have 15db more headroom than the U87? What gives?
M.
MH123

Re: cm87 distorting

Postby advancedaudio_e » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi M

The CM87 should not be behaving like that, it can take bucket loads of level and does have about 15db more headroom than the U87.

It sounds like there is something wrong with your mic? please contact Scotty at info@advancedaudio.ca

best

Mike
advancedaudio_e
Site Admin

Postby MH123 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 am

Ok, will do!
MH123

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:08 pm

Hello, thanks for the inquiry. Sorry, for taking so long to get back to you. I have been busy installing a Sony MXP 3036 mixing console in our studio and re-buiding its supply and neglected to check the Forum posts.

Did you resolve the problem with the CM87?

Hopefully, Scotty or Mike helped you through AA Tech support. The CM87 does have 14db more headroom than a U87 and I have used it successfully in front of the kick drum and guitar amps.

Now, unless the CM87 was actually touching the grill there shouldn't be a problem. The low frequencies would have to be 14db higher in level that the level at 1khz to be a problem.

In the flat position we let the response go down flat to 20hz so it could pick up some subsonic vibrations from the grill but this is probably unlikely unless the guitar setting on the amp was extra boomy.

I have also used the CM87 successfully 2-3" out from the 12" speaker in our BLUES JR with any distortion problems.

Let me know if you have anymore problems with the CM87 and we can either service it for you or replace it under warranty.

You can e-mail me directly at dave@advancedaudio.ca as I check my e-mails daily.

Cheers, Dave

MH123 wrote:I've been using my cm87 to record mostly vocals and acoustic guitar, but I ran into a disconcerting problem when trying to record electric guitar. The cm87 was overloading causing a terrible distortion even when backed off 4 feet from the amp. The amp was a Fender Vibrolux, and the volume was set quite conservatively. Other condenser mics placed against the grill of the cabinet were handling it just fine. I had the pad on the cm87 engaged, and I tried the bass roll off switch as well which helped a little bit but did not prevent overload. I've recorded loud high gain amps with a Neumann U87 and never had a problem like this. And isn't the cm87 supposed to have 15db more headroom than the U87? What gives?
M.
Dave Thomas

Return to Online Support