Rode K2 modification

Discuss mic modifications, capsules, transformers and other good old tech talk to improve the sound of your microphone. Ask a question?

Rode K2 modification

Postby Flori54 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:29 pm

My Rode K2 sounds nice, but not very much "in your face", so it sounds a little undirect, or like behind a curtain.
How could I change this?
Flori54

Re: Rode K2 modification

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:57 pm

Hello, thanks for the inquiry. The Rode K2 is a true tube microphone but it has a transformerless output stage. I believe there was a early run that had transformers.

Did it always sound indirect like its behind a curtain?

Does the pattern switch work and when you put the microphone in FIG 8 do the front and back match?

Have you changed the tube recently? It uses a EC88/6922 so you cannot substitute a 6072 or 12AT7. So, you need to make sure the correct tube is in place.

I have re-built a couple of these with a true transformer circuit and we upgrade the capsule to either our AK12 (C12 sound) or our AK47 (U47) sound.

Cheers, Dave

Flori54 wrote:My Rode K2 sounds nice, but not very much "in your face", so it sounds a little undirect, or like behind a curtain.
How could I change this?
Dave Thomas

Postby Flori54 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:42 am

Hi, Dave,
thanks for your reply,
I am very late in answering, I know.
I will have a look on the tube, maybe I inserted a wrong one, as you mentioned.
Flori54

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Hello, I brought in some correct tubes for the K2 and there is a vast improvement to our ears when the stock 3-micron skinned capsule is replace with our AK12 which is skinned with 6 micron mylar.

Cheers, Dave

Flori54 wrote:Hi, Dave,
thanks for your reply,
I am very late in answering, I know.
I will have a look on the tube, maybe I inserted a wrong one, as you mentioned.
Dave Thomas

Return to Mic D.I.Y